[thelist] Suggestions for the next technology to learn

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Sep 5 07:25:04 CDT 2003

Oh boy...

:-)

Both C# and Java will have their advantages. For example, the proposed C#
implementation of generics will, at this stage be much "better" than what
you'll be able to do with Java.

So, I don't think C# will "eat" Java. The underlying platform capabilities
will be far more important than whether a language implements an obscure OOP
principle.

I'm pretty sure that everyone in the enterprise space has seen the
Middleware comparison:
http://www.middleware-company.com/j2eedotnetbench/ - Microsoft's making a
serious play for the Enterprise application space with .Net, and they've got
the developer talent and the dollars to make it work. Who ends up being the
dominant player though... only time will tell.

Frankly, I consider the previous post a little uninformed. There is
certainly no "recommendation" from Microsoft that you persue C# instead of,
say, VB.Net. Both are fully supported, and one is not preferred to the
other.

Cheers
Ken

From: "Elankath, Tarun (Cognizant)" <ETarun at blr.cognizant.com>
Subject: RE: [thelist] Suggestions for the next technology to learn

>PHP and move on to C# or Java, although C# will eat
>Java in soon time (not flaming) but C# is powerful
>and you can get the .NET framework for free.

Don't want to start a war, but I would like to know why do you believe
that C# will 'eat' Java soon ? You can anything in Java that you can do in
C#,
but not vice-versa. In addition, the JRE and J2SDK is free for multiple
platforms
too. Brilliant IDE's like Eclipse come free as well. Brilliant tools like
Ant come
free as well. Heck, you can set up a production Java system for 0 + cost of
development.

With the GCJ compiler, you have the option of compiling Java to actual
native machine
code, for all the platforms where the GCC compiler family can run.

If there are any technical reasons why 'C#' will 'eat' Java, I would love to
hear of them.

Rgds,
Tarun

[ http://www.aleembawany.com/ ]