[thelist] XHTML or HTML WAS Good Examples of XHTML Usage

Michael Pack michaelpack at wvdhhr.org
Fri Sep 5 08:48:14 CDT 2003

> > * Document sent as text/html are handled as tag soup [2] by most
UAs.
> > Since most authors only check their documents using one or two
UAs,
> > rather than using a validator, this means that authors are not
> > checking for validity, and thus most XHTML documents on the web
now
> > are invalid.
>
> I dispute this claim.  Where is the data backing it up?

http://www.goer.org/Journal/2003/Apr/index.html#results

How does this serve as backing data?

This could be compared to say...... 'General Motors providing test
results for 119 active vehicles

88 of the vehicles caught on fire while driving down the road (vehicles
can't be named, sorry)
18 of the vehicles sputtered and stalled around (vehicles can't be
named, sorry)
12 of the vehicles communication systems did not work (vehicles can't
be named, sorry)
only 1 of the 119 vehicles tested performed as expected, the 2003
Silverado...here is a link to it....oh, oops it doesn't work.'

I know that is a bit extreme :). To me the "backing data" is only
someones end results without backing data. This could easily be
classified as harmful.