[thelist] Liquid help

Kelly Hallman khallman at wrack.org
Fri Sep 5 12:26:39 CDT 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> > what happens if they resize the browser window?  *grin*
>
> Well, exactly :-) And I was kinda thrown by someone a few weeks ago on
> here who said "I use Mac and my windows are never full screen", which is
> kinda obvious but I hadn't quite grasped it.

I don't think very many people should be browsing full screen anyway,
unless you're using an app that has wide tabular data tables or you are
running a low resolution like 800x600 or (maybe) 1024x768.. but I'm sure
many do anyhow. I personally have way too many windows open at any one
time to have browser windows set to full screen.

> > if you want the image to slowly overlap each other more and more, that's
> > going to be pretty tricky.  what i'd suggest is making a single image
> > that can tile and apply that as a background image.

I was able to get interesting (yet far from perfect) results by changing
the absolute pixel positioning to percentage offsets from the left for
.i2-.i9 (i.e. left: 40%, left: 50%, etc). If liquidity is your desire, I
don't think absolute pixel positioning has any place... :)

> Well, the idea is that those images are chosen randomly from a stock, so
> the visitor always sees a different mix of images. The downside is they're
> probably not in cache, but I still like the idea. Oh, that means I want to
> keep them separate rather than mix them into one image, but I'll keep the
> idea for backup if I can't get this to work.

I think you're making things way too difficult on yourself. CSS is pretty
powerful, but there is no substitute for 'designing'. What I mean to say
is that there are successful and less-successful approaches/designs you
could take, knowing what you know about CSS. Best to design a page in a
way that compliments and leverages CSS than one that attempts to conform
CSS to a particular design strategy. (Unless you are merely looking for a
way to accomplish this effect with CSS, in an academic sesnse.)

For example, I would intersperse those pictures among the body text rather
than trying to fight with CSS to get them to work the way you want them to
in the header.  Though I admit the overlapping looks kinda cool when
resizing the browser window.. :)

--
Kelly Hallman
http://wrack.org/