[thelist] best way to store pictures

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Fri Sep 5 12:56:45 CDT 2003

Chris:

On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 12:53 PM, Chris W. Parker wrote:

> I guess it turns out that because jpg's are already compressed they
> can't be compressed much more. Is there any way to get around this?

Short answer: no. Compressed data doesn't compress well, as you guessed.

> For all you people that take a lot of pictures, how do you archive them
> while saving space at the same time? (Hopefully that's not an
> oxymoron.)

Buy a really big hard drive (seriously). I back up all my "originals"
(full size 2MB JPGs) when there are about 650MB of new ones to CD.
Every so often I'll back up a bunch using my DVD burner in picture mode
(4.7GB, means I can shove it in a DVD player and view the pictures on a
TV screen).

As for keeping them around to share with people, I put them on my home
server running Gallery (http://gallery.sourceforge.net). It's got an
80GB drive, and it will likely take me awhile to amass the 40,000
pictures it would take to fill the drive...

HTH,

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com