[thelist] best way to store pictures

Jono Young Jono at brookgroup.com
Fri Sep 5 13:09:45 CDT 2003

I have taken 3000+ photos with my Nikon CP4500 since March, and everyone
except for this month is burned to a CD.  Every time I upload the photos to
my HD, I place them in a dated folder with a descriptive name, and when it
comes time, I just drop these folders into Toast and start burning that
month's photos. I then put the CD into a plastic bag, and store them in a
cool dry place.  All of the CDs have labels with specific dates, what the
photos are of etc.  If you have cash, I'd recommend a DVD burner so that you
can put more photos on a disc...but the other side of the coin is that if
that DVD gets destroyed, god forbid, you will lose a whole lot more photos
than you would have if  they were burned to a CD.  After you have burned the
CD, you can remove them from your HD.  If you really have cash, I'd suggest
an extra 500GB external HD, JUST FOR PHOTOS.  That should last you a good
long time, BUT always back up the external drive regularly!!!!

--
Jono Young
Designer/Illustrator