[thelist] I have a question (I'm a novice)

Ron Thigpen rthigpen at nc.rr.com
Fri Sep 5 16:16:52 CDT 2003

As for the contest, you might consider using a confirmation email to
validate submissions.  He could still enter, but those entries would
never be made valid.

Example Steps:

Add validity flag and validation strig field in contest entry db table.
Set flag to 0 for new entries.
Also generate a psuedo-random string for new entries.  Store this.
Generate a confirmation e-mail with a link back to the site page that
includes the validation string and the entry ID.  Inform users that they
will have to click this link to complete their entry.
Code a validation page that looks up the entry based on ID and
validation string.  If found, switch validity flag to 1.  If not found
display error message.
Only use valid entries when choosing a winner.

You might also store a timestamp and the originating IP address of the
entry submissions.  Looking for patterns in the unvalidated entries
might point to your problem user.  This information might be useful when
submitting to the abuse desk at this user's ISP.

You might also block entries from the same IP address that occur during
a short period of time, though this might block entries from members of
the same family.

--rt