[thelist] Re: thelist Digest, Vol 7, Issue 12

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 5 21:42:57 CDT 2003

On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 10:52 PM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> I in a little bit of a bind...
>
> Is there a way to get a dynamic text box - that is drawn on the stage
> accept new formatting commands (bold, color, size) - without using HTML
> commands in the external text file (I want to keep the external text
> file
> super user-friendly - non-HTML users - for editing purposes)?
>
> Any and all help appreciated.
>
> mj

Sounds like Flash. Do you use FlashMX? I checked in my FlashMX and if
you go to the actions pallette and select FlashUIComponenets ->
FStyleFormat -> properties and scroll down the list you will see
textBold, which is a boolean property. I think -- and I don't use Flash
enough to be certain -- that you'll need to use the FStyleFormat
object. Here's a snippet from their reference:

<quote> You can also use setStyleProperty to change properties for
specific component instances without using a constructor.
</quote>

If you aren't using FlashMX UI components, I did see another property
you might be able to try on regular text fields. You need to set them
as html text fields. Here's a snippet from the reference:

<quote>
Example

In the following example, the text in the text field text2 is rendered
bold.

text2.html = true;
text2.htmlText = "<b> this is bold text </b>";
</quote>

You might be able to load the text into a variable, then concatenate a
string putting it between the <b> tags, then set
mymovieclip.myvarname=myconcatentatedstring. Create a function for your
button that takes those <b> tags off when clicked.

Hope that is helpful. I didn't give any of it a real try.

Diane

Boyfriend: 3 years, 3 PCs. Each one purchased after the previous one
died.
Me: 9 years, 3 Macs. Each one purchased because I wanted it. They all
still work perfectly.