[thelist] Java (JSP) engine locally

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sat Sep 6 18:42:34 CDT 2003

Diane Soini wrote:

> I have found jakarta tomcat easy to install, but hard to integrate with
> an existing apache engine. Not sure how it is done. Not as easy as the
> directions say.

Uh, well. Yeah, the first time or two *will* be painful.

Recommendations --
	use Tomcat 4.1.x
	use the jk2 connector
	don't try to set up virtual hosts the first time :-)

And you only care about running Apache and Tomcat together to let
Apache handle static files (*.html, images, etc.), anyway, eh?

The real power is in using the capabilities of the Tomcat container.

The Tomcat Configuration Reference pages:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/>

contains a lot more useful info than might initially meet the eye,
as does the Servlet (2.3) specification:

<http://www.jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr053/>

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.