[thelist] Managing URL wrap in email

Dave Bender dave at benders-of-edina.com
Mon Sep 8 15:45:57 CDT 2003

You could do several things to shorten this:

+ Eliminate any unnecessary URL arguments.  For example, use a separate
script for confirmations only so you don't need to specify "action=confirm".
That would save 14 characters.

+ Consider stripping the email address from the URL.  You might be doing
some comparison of the email address to the confirmation code, but do you
really need to?  I'd argue that you just need the conf. code.  I'd be
curious if anybody sees any loopholes using nothing but a confirmation code.

+ rename the script something shorter.

+ create an alias on your web server, like "/a" redirects to
/maillist/maillist.php.

Dave