[thelist] Front End Access access to SQL DB's

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Mon Sep 8 18:57:20 CDT 2003

> I'm almost finished with the conversion, but what I want to know is, if
> queries that use IIF's, for example, are interpreted correctly by SQL
> server?

nope, you need to change the syntax from IIF to CASE

>  Is this why people opt for using access because it's ability to
> "WYSIWYG" queries (easy to use)?

not really

i mean, the access query wizard sucks, and so does sql server's query
builder

in both systems it's easier to write your own sql

but i say that as one who writes sql off the top of my head

i guess the situation is a lot like writing html off the top of your head

some people can't do it, and need frontpage or dreamweaver or some such

> What are other big reasons for using Access as a front end to SQL servers
> that you've come up with?

you mentioned the main reason yourself -- so that you aren't forced into
"changing a lot for the people who use the database"

access forms and reports have no equivalent in sql server

in fact, sql server doesn't really have a front end, the way access does

rudy