[thelist] IE6 is broken

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Tue Sep 9 02:45:52 CDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 07:19:47PM -0700, Diane Soini wrote:
> Well, I've spent many days on this and have finally realized that it
> just ain't gonna work. It appears that IE6 has a bug that I haven't
> seen anything written about yet. Here's what happens:
>
> 1. My stylesheet uses keywords (font-size:small)

Internet Explorer has (IIRC) "small" as the default font size. (CSS
small == whatever is in the view>font size menu).

http://diveintoaccessibility.org/examples/fontsize.html

... but I suggest using % or em.

> The html code, by
> the way, is very poorly written, with such attrocities as <span> tags
> inside of <tr> that are left open, and <input type="hidden"> inside of
> this bug because I can't reproduce it in a simple test page.

I think standards mode fixes the problem, so your test page could use
standards mode. Fixing your HTML would be a good idea.

> Conclusion: Accessibility is broken for IE6.

IE6 is just plain broken :)

> If my customers want to increase or decrease their font-sizes
> they'll have to use a different browser.

Use a different unit.

--
David Dorward                                       http://dorward.me.uk/