[thelist] Help with dmoz

Tue Sep 9 19:10:17 CDT 2003

Greg Farries:

> dmoz has to go, its performance is a disgrace.

Has to go where? Sure, it needs investment and better management, but bad
performance is not an argument against the value of the directory's data,
which is peerless IMO.

> For non-profit/non-commercial submissions, I find Zeal to be excellent.

I have to disagree. I wasn't aware of Zeal, but at first glance it has a
long way to go to begin to compare with the breadth and depth of dmoz. I
guess it depends on your angle: if you want a directory that's small and
relatively easy to influence as an individual submitter, then perhaps
Zeal/Looksmart is useful. But as a user looking for info on a particular
topic you'd surely be better off with dmoz/Google.

--Chris.