[thelist] Linux, Apache, php Help Please

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Wed Sep 10 01:02:31 CDT 2003

Anthony Baratta wrote:

>> Also tarball installed freetds to get mssql native access from php to
>> a Win2K with SQL 8 server on the intranet. Initial tests show the
>> php-mssql functions to be available. Seems to be a neat, easy (with
>> in reason) way to get inter-platform data in a mixed platform
>> invironment.
>

> FreeTDS is very cool.

Hey, it gave me remote MSSQL access from a Linux/Apache/php machine.
Also handles other databases.

> My biggest complaint with RedHat 9 is that they are very behind with
> PHP and Apache RPMs. There do not appear to be any RPMs for the latest
> versions anywhere. I searched update.redhat.com and several RPM finder
> sites.

This is very true. From my searches I could not find an rpm with
versions I needed. All I found were a couple of brief tutorials and
listserve (developer type) emails about how to build (from tarballs) it
yourself. The RH Network and rpm archive are several version behind
what's available on php.net, mysql.org and apache.org. I also discovered
that the RH src.rpm for php does not include the source for all the
possible extensions. Install the src.rpm for php (4.2.2) from RH and
execute ./configure --help. Several of the extension modules available
in the tarball from php.net (same, previous and later versions) are not
there. Had to go tarball from php.net to get the code I needed.

> Just finishing up a qMail/vPopMail/SquirrelMail (ClamAV/Spam
> Assassin/Bayseian Filtering) install on my new RH 9 box. ;-)

I actually like the RH 9 system and the features that can be put on the
desktop and server. After some SSL testing and more beating on the new
RH 9 server, we are putting it in production (if no problems) for a
client in spite of the grumblings of instability in Apache 2/php installs

I do wish RH would catch up and stop patching things so much. Took me a
while to figure out their patches to get things working in the
distribution, and how to get things working outside the distribution. I
haven't done that much hacking and studying in years.

Ron D.