[thelist] Help with dmoz

Alan McCoy a.r.mccoy at larc.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 10 12:29:23 CDT 2003

I think the majority of the administrative problems DMOZ is experiencing can
be summed up by looking at the text in the green bar at the bottom:

"Copyright 1998-2003 Netscape"

Don't they have enough administrative problems to deal with already?

Alan

=> Chris Brody wrote:
=> >> dmoz has to go, its performance is a disgrace.
=> > Has to go where? Sure, it needs investment and better
=> management, but
=> > bad performance is not an argument against the value of the
=> > directory's data, which is peerless IMO.
=>
=> Dmoz's poor performance isn't a recent phenomena and if it
=> continues I would assume people will start to pull the plug
=> on the whole process - regardless of the value of the
=> directory's data.
=>
=> >> For non-profit/non-commercial submissions, I find Zeal to be
=> >> excellent.
=> > I have to disagree. I wasn't aware of Zeal, but at first
=> glance it has
=> > a long way to go to begin to compare with the breadth and depth of
=> > dmoz.
=>
=> That may be the case, but I was commenting from the position
=> of the submitter.  The ROI when submitting to Zeal far
=> outweighs fighting the timeouts and extremely slow response
=> time of the Dmoz.  But again, Zeal isn't available for
=> submitters who choose to submit their sites to the
=> commercial categories - it's for non-profits/non-commercial.
=>  Looksmart covers the commercial side.
=>
=> Who exactly (major players) uses the dmoz other than google?
=>  Far as I'm concerned, just get your site listed once with
=> dmoz (to help with pagerank on google) and then forget about it.
=>
=>
=> Greg Farries
=> Project Manager
=> http://mapleleafweb.com
=> Phone: 403.329.2286
=> Fax: 403.382.7148
=> Email: greg at mapleleafweb.com
=> --------------
=> Canada's Premier Political Education Website
=>
=> --
=> * * Please support the community that supports you.  * *
=> http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/
=>
=> For unsubscribe and
=> other options, including the Tip Harvester
=> and archives of thelist go to: http://lists.evolt.org
=> Workers of the Web, evolt !
=>