[thelist] Windows XP editions

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Sep 11 20:21:44 CDT 2003

From: "Michael Pemberton" <mpember at mpember.net.au>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Windows XP editions

: > No Dell OS CD that I've ever received has required that you have a
: > Dell machine. Some of the *other* applications that are bundled
: > (notably WinDVD, do a machine ID check before installation).
:
: Some of the Compaqs at work have been arriving with "custom"
: rebuild cds. From memory, these do contains a fully functional
: copy of XP.  However, the build is automated to suit the compaq
: systems.  This may be the case with the Dells.
:
: To install on a different system, you may need to run the install
: from dos to remove the automation.  At worst, you could get hold
: of a "backup" copy from an "alternative" source, your legal
: product key should work.

I've seen these Compaq restore CDs. Sony provides the same thing with their
laptops. The Dell ones are different. They provide two CDs (at least). One
(as far as I can tell) contains a plain vanilla copy of the OS. The other
contains all the additional drivers etc required to get your machine running
under that OS. If you had any additional software bundled with your machine
(eg DVD playback software, CD/DVD burning software), then this comes on
further, additional, CDs.

Cheers
Ken