[thelist] Testing for Popup Blockers

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Sep 11 22:44:54 CDT 2003

I don't think Perl, running on the server, will know anything about the
client.

OTOH, all I can suggest is that:
a) you try to open a pop-up window
b) the pop-up window attempts to write something back to the parent page (or
redirects the parent page)
c) you detect if (b) did not happen
d) if (b) did happen, you close the pop-up window

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Amy Johnson" <amy at rocky-hills.com>
To: "TheList" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 1:22 PM
Subject: [thelist] Testing for Popup Blockers

: I have taken over a site that uses loads of JavaScript popup windows
: for its shopping cart (I know - I've told the client this is bad
: news).  My client does not want to change this right now.  Meanwhile I
: now know that this is a problem with the Popup Blockers.  I thought
: maybe I could at least test for the popup blocker and let the user
: know that he'll have to disable it to use the shopping cart.  I hate
: doing things half-*ss but I'm working with my hands tied behind my
: back right now.
:
: So can anyone lead me to some Perl code that would test for a Popup
: Blocker?
:
: Thanks.
: Sigh.