SV: [thelist] Patents screw plug-ins

Ryan Tames rytames at telusplanet.net
Sun Sep 14 03:06:30 CDT 2003

If I can get my two cents in, without really pointing at anyone.

Most folks do not look at things the way I do, for an example,
and Operating System is simply just a low level software application,
and with the invention of modulated code comes the invention
of plugins (dynamic linked libaries for example).

Its natural progression, I think its stupid that it was even able to be
patented. Same with streaming video and audio, it is natural progression
for data to stream over a network.

I'm thinking that with the internet revolution, a lot of patents (and maybe even dwelling
into copyright and trademarks) are somewhat absurd, simply becouse the ideas are
out there, the communication is out there, the insperation is out there, the knowledge
is out there, everything is out there, and retrievable, as easily as one wants it to be.

Leave at the very least, Patents for the real innovation. But I suppose too, running a country
is big business. Though for the business to grow, it also must embrace evolution and not fear
changes, no matter how old, or how small, or even how large. The systems under go changes
anyway, but they either grow, break or both.

In our system, its humans, so our system is dependant on us. And that is either as big, or
as small as you wish to view it. In reality, it is global, maybe even universal, as we push
probes, space junk and radio frequencies out into the wild unknown.

Meaningless and deliberate wastes of time, mean while we have meaningful high tech abilities
that would be better served for the masses, global humanity. Out there looking for life,
sheese, when we cannot even adapt and protect our own lifes. I would seriously laugh,
if we found life on another planet, and they came and stomped on us, while were bickering
and arguing agmonst our selfs.

Mind you, i'm a lot more intelligent then most, so that's probally only my 2 cents.

But the point is, a lot of time wasting is needed, but to a lot of growth and innovation
should come from it, if it is based on truthfulness/honesty. Kind of like the common good,
the common knowledge, and allowing progressive growth.

I imagine, for something to be truly patented, it would really have to take humanity,
people, and communities by surprise. Which is very hard to do, in times like these,
where there is a sense of free communication and expression. But there more to it,
there is also the fundamental knowledge that is hitting main stream. Computers and
computer technology are becoming common. Programmers and Developers, Designers
are becoming common.

That adversley affects the systems that are contained within, and that contain us. The web
is just one system, but in the end it is still just electron flow interpeted into binary logic. I know
a lot of software vendors jumped on the patent bandwagon, but the problem i see is that
the initial-fundametal-underlining logic is so old, that it becomes the same ole-same ole,
in a slightly different manner.

I have no idea if that is Patent worthey. Or if the Patent system simply has not matured
to the level of the fast paced computer software technology industry.
Sheese, Software does not even exist, though the interpetation, understanding, ... and
relations do exist, but that in itself is relative to a language.

I really doubt I can Patent my thoughtes expressed above, but at the same time it is
about to stream to 3,000+ inboxes, of which I've only read messages from not even
40 of those people. Will folks get ideas from my expression above? sure.

Maybe I just confused the whole situation, and now have to think of a tip.

--
Ryan Tames.

TagaT - Tag Board:http://tagat.tames.2y.net/
Portfolio: http://portfolio.tames.2y.net/
PGP Public key: finger webmaster at tames.2y.net