[thelist] Advice on using Tableless CSS layout for large eCommerce sites?

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Mon Sep 15 18:37:01 CDT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:47:33 -0700 (PDT), Steven Loe
<stevenloe5000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Downside:
> - Will turn away 1%-3% of site users who are using
> Netscape 4.x
>     [stats say that 4% of our users are using Netscape
> 4 but we're not convinced that all of them are
> actually making purchases. -Working on getting better
> numbers].

Nothing says that they will be turned away.  It may not look as nice in
NN4 but if you are careful it can be entirely functional.

I say 'careful' because things like the Box Model Hack can cause it to
crash.

You might consider separating your CSS into two files (at least), one that
is "safe" for NN4 and another more advanced for the others.

TjL

--
Flash, Pop Up Windows, Animated Gifs... what did I miss?
"Most Annoying Things on the Web" @