[thelist] other browsers

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Tue Sep 16 10:52:08 CDT 2003

Simion Willison said:

> Imagine you're a big company about to open a new manufacturing plant.

But I probably would outsource this job, and my consultant has existing
business partnerships.

> Vendor lockin is never a good thing.

And that is not going away in the near future. The company I work for is
partnered with Oracle and IBM. It gives us a competitive advantage if a
client wants non-MS solutions. It doesn't matter that I think there are
better, less expensive technologies.

> Unfortunately, it seems the single vendor mentality is so ingrained in
corporate IT culture that
> many companies are failing to realise how much freedom this gives
them.

I absolutely agree, but changing a culture is tantamount to climbing Mt.
Everest.