[thelist] Verisign adds wild card to .Com and .Net.....

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Tue Sep 16 13:05:22 CDT 2003

From: "Anthony Baratta" <Anthony at Baratta.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 1:35 PM

> " Late Monday evening (UTC) they introduced wildcard *.com and *.net A
> records into the top-level domain name servers. They resolve to
64.94.110.11. "

> This means that spam filters that rely on "unresolved" for fictitious
> domain names will now resolve those domains to an IP. Try it. Enter
> "234jhehwehu.com" in your browser - instead of getting domain not found
you
> get redirected to http://sitefinder.verisign.com

I have a feeling that domain won't last long.  All the bad spellers out
there will effectively DoS http://sitefinder.verisign.com out of existance.

At least, I *hope*.

<tip type="Invoicing" author="Joshua Olson">
Invoice regularly.  Nothing is harder than trying to squeeze money out of a
client for a couple of hours that you failed to invoice a couple months back
because the client said "Invoice me when this or that happens" and neither
this not that ever happen.
</tip>

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer