[thelist] MySQL VB.NET local DB Projects?

Ed e at marinx.com
Wed Sep 17 11:25:13 CDT 2003

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here has experience creating:

VB.NET applications that use MySQL as the back-end via ODBC.NET
Requiring off-line database / application usage and synch with data
repository

I am working on a project where we'll be creating complex front-end in
VB.NET
Back-end could be MS SQL or MySQL

Because we'll have laptop users using the app off-line, we'll need to synch
up a lot of data with the main data store on a regular basis.

What I'm curious about is this:
With MS SQL server you can employ the Desktop Engine and save yourself a lot
of work for the latop users as you replicate a good chunk of the data store
locally:   http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/default.asp

While MySQL can integrate with VB.NET
http://www.mysql.com/articles/dotnet/index.html

I am not at all sure how well the whole synchronization thing would go.
We are talking about a lot of data, complex queries, logic, record and field
level comparisons, blobs, that all have to be stored locally.
I'd prefer to go down the MySQL path, but don't want to get into major
trouble on this point.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated!

Ed