[thelist] RE: Advice on using Tableless CSS layout for large eCommerce sites?

Steven Loe stevenloe5000 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 11:31:15 CDT 2003

<snip 1>
I've found if I can move most of the presentation into
the CSS and leave behind only a few layout-by-table
html structures to memorize (or cut and paste), I can
create an exquisitely maintainable UI layer.
</snip 1>

<snip 2>
I'm not just playing devil's advocate here.
Table-less, page layout CSS is not simple. For neatly
encapsulated page components it can be a beautiful
thing, but applied to page and content layout IMHO it
breaks the KISS rule.
<snip 2>

I see the validity of the arguments above.

What would you think about about an approach where the
overall page structure is a table but, sub elements
are styled DIV's? [Obviously it makes sense to present
tabular data like result sets in a table]. Is this
what you meant by "move most of the presentation into
the CSS and leave behind only a few layout-by-table
html structures"?

->Steven Loe