[thelist] Finding Cell providers by prefix of mobile number.

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Sep 17 15:22:24 CDT 2003

David Dorward wrote:

>>Based on the discussion recently about cellphone SMS.  Does anyone know
>>where I might find a list of prefixes that each Cell Phone Network Provider
>>is assigned?  It is my understanding that numbers are assigned to each
>>Network Provider and that if you know the prefix of the number you can find
>>out the Network Provider that the number belongs to i.e. ATT&T, NexTel,
>>whoever.  Is this correct?

> I can't speak for the US, but in the UK you can't link a prefix to any
> particular provider in the UK. Users can change provider and take
> their number with them.

And that's supposed to be the case here in the US Real Soon Now(tm),
thank $deity, inasmuch as said carriers have had their last pathetic
attempt to forestall the FCC number portability mandate rejected by
the courts. Supposedly November 24, 2003, is the Magic Date. But we
all know schedules slip :-)

So the "assigned prefixes" may be of limited use...
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.