[thelist] Laptop - Web Design Wishlist

Dan Williams dan at ithium.net
Wed Sep 17 16:01:09 CDT 2003

I know you said you want a laptop, but unless you REALLY need to move
around a lot (and face it, a 17" laptop is rather large and not exactly
"ultra-portable") I would suggest getting a desktop machine.

I develop on a machine with two lovely big Iiyama monitors, both at
1920x1440 (although they will go to 2048x1536). In my opinion, using two
screens is so much of a benefit I wonder these days how I ever survived
before!

I tend to do the majority of my coding (and designing) on the left-hand
monitor, and use the right-hand monitor for previewing at different
screen sizes etc. (and browsing) and I'm far more productive as a
result. For instance coding my main files in SciTE on the left and
viewing other files and notes etc. on the right at the same time.

But I digress...

You would definitely get more for your money if you got a desktop, and I
think sacrificing portability for two screens is well worth it! (Unless
it's absolutely critical of course.)

That said, if you do get a laptop I would recommend the Dell Inspirons,
like many others also seem to. I had one for a couple of years and it
was a solid, dependable machine, even if a tad overpriced.

Cheers

Dan