[thelist] Verisign: your domain name wildcard tool

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Thu Sep 18 08:45:45 CDT 2003

This is one of the most obnoxious events since I became acquainted with
the web 9 years ago.

I don't *want* to search automatically if a URL *appears* to be wrong. I
want the standard raw, unadulterated error message, which is, to me as a
developer, meaningful information. I do *not* want you to make my
browser 'more helpful.' I do *not* want to wander through *your* portal
searching for something; that's what I use Google.com for.

One of my first configuration modifications I make to my browsers is to
turn off automatic searching. Why does it turn itself back on in
Internet Explorer every time I'm subjected to your wildcard tool? What
gives you the right to modify *my* browser settings?

You have hijacked an important development and browsing tool from me.
Until you desist from this egregious action I will strenuously resist my
clients', employees', and acquaintances' use of Verisign services, and
will share my grossly unpleasant experience with everyone in my
considerable circle of friends and acquaintances.

Joel D Canfield

Apologies to my evolt.org, MonkeyJunkies, and WebSanDiego compatriots
for the cross-post. Tips and other payment in kind will be forthcoming.

spinhead

--
Joel D Canfield
joel at spinhead.com