[thelist] XHTML and CSS

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 10:01:50 CDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:43:55 +0100, Chris Marsh <chris at ecleanuk.com> wrote:

> Should I have three divs with two spans nested in the middle one? Is a
> div necessary for the middle section, or should I sandwich the two spans
> between the two divs? Any thoughts appreciated.

I'd have a header div, a nav div, a content div, and a footer div.

all relatively positioned with the exception of the nav div which is fixed
position over the content div (using z-index) and content in the content
div is padded left to allow space for the nav div.

like this here:
http://www.torbytes.co.uk

so that unstyled pages (e.g. NN4) come up in a sensible order) e.g. I
wanted the nav to appear before the content.

the only problem I've had with the layout on torbytes is on short pages
the footer div rides up the page, I used a single pixel gif to maintain a
minimum height for content.

Alternatively there are many, many layouts to choose from here:

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts

hth

Tony

--
http://www.xebit.net/

Sent with M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=627923