[thelist] XHTML and CSS

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 11:58:04 CDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:38:12 +0100, Geoff Sheridan
<web2k2 at premonition.co.uk> wrote:

> An aside; it is considered good accessibility practice to have the
> content FIRST, because then users of screen readers do not have to
> listen to all the navigation before every page. If nav must appear
> before content in the source, use 'skip nav' links to allow them to
> avoid this. There was a long thread on CSS-discuss about this recently.
> When I use a PDA I prefer the content first, especially on real content
> (rather than 'home') pages - all that scrolling!

Thanks for the thought provoking comments guys.

The nature of the site is such that the meat (images) is a few levels deep
under a fair amount of categorisation so any content on interim pages is
contextual rather than truly useful, but I take the points made.

luckily it's only a dozen or so templates to change so I could have the
nav after the content in unstyled browsers with less than an hours work.

It sounds like it would be worth doing anyway.

Hmmm.....

--
http://www.xebit.net/

Sent with M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=627923