[thelist] Removing Microsoft Word special characters

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Thu Sep 18 14:11:05 CDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:23:31 -0400, Hershel Robinson
<hershelr at netvision.net.il> wrote:

> What would be a demonstration of the value of UltraEdit, and also a more
> useful answer to the original question, would be an UltraEdit macro that
> would replace all of these characters with acceptable substitutes.

OK, I think I have it.

InsertMode
ColumnModeOff
HexOff
UnixReOff
Find "“"
Replace All "&8220;"
Find "”"
Replace All "&8221;"
Find "‘"
Replace All "&8216;"
Find "’"
Replace All "&8217;"
Find "—"
Replace All "&8212;"
Find "…"
Replace All "&8230;"

Now I'm not sure if that will carry though all the various email servers
out there, so I have also put it at

http://tntluoma.com/ultraedit/UE-Macro-MSWord-Characters-to-HTML.txt

I was not able to coax MSWord into giving me an en-dash, so this will not
fix that, however it would be simple for someone to add that capability to
it if they could get an en-dash out of MSWord (the HTML code is &#8211;)

Note that when you put this into a UE macro, some of the MSWord characters
appear as characters similar to | (vertical pipe) which UE seems to use
when it can't display a character properly.

TjL

--
Flash, Pop Up Windows, Animated Gifs... what did I miss?
"Most Annoying Things on the Web" @