Notepad, and this list WAS Re: [thelist] Removing Microsoft Word special characters

Kelly Hallman khallman at wrack.org
Fri Sep 19 00:46:41 CDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Ken Schaefer wrote:
> So, because UE has some extra abilities, then it somehow follows that:
> "Notepad, as nearly everyone knows, is terrible." What a crock.

It doesn't follow; it was stated absolutely, not relative to UltraEdit.
Most people with any serious text editing needs would agree, too. Sure,
Notepad can do basic find/replace, but that's about it's only feature.
(Unless you consider cut/copy/paste a feature worthy of mention, too.)

Notepad is fine for editing a small file in a pinch, but with the bevy of
(feature-rich) text editors available, anyone who would choose to use
Notepad as their standard editor is a masochist.

> I came to this list because it seemed that people here were a little more
> grown up, and could discuss things a little more dispassionately

People trashing on Notepad -- the most brain-dead text editor ever made --
seems like a strange thing to make as issue of.. There are times in list
discussions when people make declarations that are biased or what have
you, but the question of whether or not Notepad is a decent text editor
isn't really much of a debate...

(There is only vi...)

--
Kelly Hallman