[thelist] link borders on a MAC

Maisha Walker maisha at e-vent.org
Mon Sep 22 14:31:09 CDT 2003

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I am indeed an accessibility advocate.  But I do think there are times when
other objectives outweigh the value that accessibility offers.

In this situation - where the content is several hundred images of his work,
I found it hard to justify.  But I would be grateful to hear what some
justifications might be - just 'cause I didn't think of them, doesn't mean
they don't exist!!  Here was my reasoning:

1. He's an illustrator, so the central purpose of his site is to get work by
showing the work he's done in the past.

2. His only realistic use for search engines is for people to be able to
look up his name and find his site.

3. Because his work is so visual, what purpose would the alt tags really
serve?  It would help someone navigate the site in a text based browser
perhaps, but for what purpose?

4.  Since there are so many images of his work (each of which is further
sliced into smaller images for quicker downloading), thinking of and adding
alt tags for all of the images would have added a lot of time to site
development.  I had a hard time justifying the time and energy given the
content.

Would love to hear other approaches or reasoning.

All the best,
Maisha