[thelist] link borders on a MAC

Philippe Wittenbergh phiw at l-c-n.com
Tue Sep 23 01:09:41 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 04:02  AM, Maisha Walker wrote:

> Thank you, everyone for your responses!
>
> And thank you, Philippe, this worked!
>
> Can you enlighten me as to:
>
> 1. where I would find code like this?  Is there a good resource for
> CSS code
> that you know of?

The css specification is a good start ;-)

> 2. why would you strongly recommend not doing this?  Very curious to
> understand the usability issues involved.

You've heard it already, it kills the visual feedback for keyboard
users. Without that focussing ring, they have no idea which link is
selected.

Now for IE Mac, instead of killing that focussing ring by stating
a:focus {outline:none}
you can always try to control it:
a:focus {outline: 10px lime dashed} /* fill in values to taste. */[1]
I use that on my IE bug pages (see sig below)

[1] the default in the hard coded UA CSS for IE Mac is a:focus
{outline: 2px /*colorvalue*/ solid}, whereby colorvalue is the same one
as the color selected for the browser chrome (user selected)

HTH

Philippe

Philippe Wittenbergh

code | design | web projects : <http://www.l-c-n.com/>