[thelist] What's the meaning of this..?

Tim Burgan burgan at iprimus.com.au
Wed Sep 24 22:52:01 CDT 2003

Hi list,

I'm looking to further my knowledge and experience in
website development, so I'm wondering if I can ask you
these four questions:

  [Question 1]
  What technologies do you know, and what is your area
  of expertise / personal interest in web development?

  [Question 2]
  What training have you had, if any?

  [Question 3]
  How long have you been in the field?

  [Question 4]
  What areas of technology would you like to know more
  about?

My answers to the above questions are as follows:

  [Question 1]
  •  I code sites to an XHTML 1.0 or 1.1 standard.
  •  Beginners level of ASP, even less of PHP and
      JavaScript.
  •  Somewhere between beginner and intermediate
      in my CSS knowledge and understanding.
  •  I have used Photoshop since version 4, so I have
      a great knowledge about graphics also.
  •  My aim is to create standards compliant sites that
      users across all platforms and browsers can view.
  •  I have a strong interest in streaming audio and
      video.

  [Question 2]
  •  Self taught basics of HTML in '98.
  •  Volunteered to design sites in my spare time for
      friends and my father's company.
  •  Designed website's for music groups in my region
      and interstate.
  •  I completed a Multimedia course in 2002.
  •  I am currently studying VisualBasic.Net

  [Question 3]
  •  I have been designing sites of a professional
     standard since 2001 via freelancing.

  [Question 4]
  •  I would like to learn PHP, JavaScript, J2EE,
     and web security.

Thanks.
I'm very interested in knowing where everyone else is
looking in the future.

Because this email is long, be sure to quote only the
essential parts of this message in a reply to consider
those on slower connections and smaller screens.

Tim Burgan

<tip type="css pseudo-class">
  When using CSS to style links, don't forget to
  style your visited links so that they have a hover
  state also (eg. class:visited:hover).
</tip>