[thelist] ftp synchronization tool

Steve Clason steve at clason.org
Thu Sep 25 13:30:12 CDT 2003

Sarah wrote:

> I am looking for recommendations for an FTP
> synchronization tool. I am
> trying to make sure that a site I am working on is
> synched up between a
> local server here at work and a client's remote server (where
the
> site will be hosted). Here's what I'm looking for:
> (1) works on Win2k
> (2) will preserve the modified time of files when they are
transferred
> (3) will allow you to specify what to do with files based on if
they:
>      - exist only on my machine
>      - are newer on my machine
>      - are the same on both machines
>      - exist only on the remote server
>      - are newer on the remote server
> I've tried WS_FTP Pro, which doesn't do (2) (at least not when
using
> the synchronization tool), and FTP Voyager, which doesn't do
(3).

I may not understand the problem, but WS_FTP Pro has an option
under
Sites>Organize Sites>your.site>Edit>Session>bottom option that
lets you preserve file modify times when transferring. I'd think
it would work with the synch tool once the site was set up that
way. Can't say I've tried it, though.

Steve Clason