[thelist] Getting the structure of a mysql database through aphp-script

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Wed Oct 1 08:03:50 CDT 2003

[snip]
Short question: how can I get a dump of a database structure using a
php-script? I have access to the site using the database and I want a
quick solution to see how the database is structured.
[/snip]

You can run a MySQL DESCRIBE query in PHP just as you would any other
query.

$sqlDesc = "DESCRIBE tableName ";
$result = mysql_query($sqlDesc, $theconnection);

while($row = mysql_fetch_object($result)){
	print($row->foo);
	print ...etc....
}

Any query you can run form the MySQL command prompt is executable from
php...

$sqlST = "SHOW TABLES ";

$sqlSPL = "SHOW PROCESSLIST ";

HTH!