[thelist] Re: msql: using an index to search across columns?

Dunstan Orchard dunstan at 1976design.com
Wed Oct 1 08:50:36 CDT 2003

> Javier wrote:
> Why not use a fulltext search?  MySQL has fulltext search built in, as
> I imagine some other db's would.  Alternatively you can use a fulltext
> indexing solution, but you probably don't want to implement a fulltext
> search by executing potentially large numbers of SQL queries and then
> figuring out what to do with all the results.

I don't want to use fulltext because it gives me barmy results. Maybe it's
because my database is too small at present, but most times it tells me nothing
was found, even though the posts are clearly there.

That, combined with the fact that I can't rebuild mysql on my server to accept
three letter search terms, means I'm not keen to use it.

Never mind though, I've had a chat with Adrian Holovaty
(http://www.holovaty.com) and he's managed to do phrase searching using just the
simple LIKE queries, so maybe I'll go and ask him for the PHP.

Thanks for the reply Javier.

- Dunstan