[thelist] XHTML/CSS Code Review Please

MaKo shark at mako4css.com
Wed Oct 1 15:58:22 CDT 2003

"Jono Young" <Jono at brookgroup.com> wrote in message
news:BBA0B3B5.5DE9%Jono at brookgroup.com...
> I am fairly new to CSS, but isn't it better to set font sizes as pixels,
> instead of percent?

Jono,

not necessarily. Some browsers for example can't 'scale' pixel-sized
fonts. That means, if the designer decides to use an unreadably small font
I have no hope of adapting the text to a size that is pleasant for *me*.

Besides that, the element <h1> has already inherent properties - one of
them is that the font for a <h1> element is the largest font in that
document - aside from 'artificially altered' text-sizes. The 130% take the
100% font-size of that particular font and enlarge it another 30%. 10px
Times New Roman are different in size from 10px Verdana, but by using %
(or em) the scaling of the font takes the 'specific font' issue into
consideration.

-- DTH?

MaKo

...just when you thought it was safe to go back into the wwwater...
http://www.mako4css.com/