[thelist] Knoppix "Linux on CD:" Write to hard drive safely?

Chris Cothrun cothrun at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 4 00:09:49 CDT 2003

Hi,

On 3 Oct 2003 , <Jorah Lavin <thelist at lists.evolt.org>> wrote:
> I just got my Knoppix disk in the mail today. It boots fine on
> my Dell, which normally runs WinME.
>
> http://www.knoppix.net/
>
> I've no idea if I can save files to the hard drive safely.
> I've read as much of the introductory material as I can find
> online,  but can't find anything that clearly states that it
> is okay or a really bad idea to actually use the hard drive.
> There is one mention of saving files to floppies, so I'm
> suspecting that saving to disk is not good.

I haven't used Knoppix but I have saved files back to a FAT32
partition from a Linux install on a dual-boot setup. If you
can see all your files on your hard drive you'll be fine,
Linux support for FAT32 partitions is very good (there are
some Linux setups that run entirely off FAT32 and co-exist
alongside Windows).

If you can't see your files and folders on your hard drive,
you might have problems. It should be a simple fix to get
Linux to see it but as I haven't used Knoppix, I can't steer
you in the right direction.

Chris