SEO was: Re: [thelist] PHP and Search Engine Bots.

Randy Pearson randyp at cycla.com
Sat Oct 4 10:51:23 CDT 2003

Another Google factor I read involved limiting content size. Do you know if
this is *total* size of the HTML or just size of the inner text? The reason
I ask is that our development framework tends to produce rather verbose
markup, particularly element IDs and the like. For example, a textbox in a
row 3 of a grid on a form might well look like:

<input
  id="formInvoice_gridLineItems_row3_txtQuantity"
  name="formInvoice_gridLineItems_row3_txtQuantity"
  size="8"
  value="1"></input>

I realize a <form> isn't the best example of a page you want to search for,
but you get the idea. Is there a search-engine penalty for having lengthy
markup like this?

TIA,

-- Randy