[thelist] formats for video

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at frogger.kicks-ass.net
Sat Oct 4 10:57:40 CDT 2003

On Thursday 2003 October 02 20:25, Timothy Martens wrote:
> Hi Evolters,
>
> I have a client interested in offering a 90 second video preview of
> their service. I'm little rusty on formats (real, mpeg, wmv, mov,
> flash, etc.) and am looking for feedback about best delivery methods
> for a predominantly version 5+ Browser / PC & Mac user base.

MPEG is the most standard (I assume some of those PCs and Macs will be
running Linux, too). Forget the Windows Media formats; Microsoft
introduces things like this to further their own objectives, often at
the expense of the users. Same for RealVideo or whatever it's called
now.

A 90 second video in MPEG1 should not run much over 2 megabytes. You
might be able to get it down to 1.5 megabytes, but the quality might
degrade a bit.

--
Shawn K. Quinn