[thelist] Knoppix "Linux on CD:" Write to hard drive safely?

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Sat Oct 4 09:12:38 CDT 2003

At 22:09 10/03/03 -0700, Chris Cothrun wrote:
>  If you
>can see all your files on your hard drive you'll be fine,

Yes, I can see the whole structure of the drive, and look at files.
Knoppix's documentation even claims that people have used the CD to recover
data from Windows machines that can't be started (OS problems, not hardware
problems).

Thanks for your reply. I'll try saving some files today. If you don't hear
back from me for a week or so, you'll know that I screwed up!  ;-}

-Jorah

<tip type="Priorities, time management">
Are you familiar with the time management concept of evaluating tasks you
have on your to-do list at work? You check the task against a grid of
urgent/not-urgent in one direction, and important/not-important on the
other. This can help you decide on what to work on first. Often, our days
can get eaten up taking care of urgent stuff that other people have dropped
on us, while the important stuff languishes.

See
http://www.smallfarmsuccess.info/management/print_671.cfm
for an example, but there are many versions of the grid. The details are
not as important as getting into the habit of trying to look at things with
a bit of dispassion.
</tip>

BTW, I'm posting this not because I'm good at doing this, but because I'm
so bad at it, but trying to get better.