[thelist] IE update

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 8 07:10:46 CDT 2003

> > I just tested the IE update that will appear because of the Eolas
>patents,
> > and it indeed shows an alert whenever it encounters an object tag with,
> > for instance, a Flash movie.
>
>i have my current version of IE set to prompt whenever any ActiveX thingie
>attempts to start up, and i invariably hit N on my keyboard unless i happen
>to be surfing links from http://presurfer.meepzorp.com/

Oh dear, yes, I see why you'd do that.

Canadians are far worse, though, and I've got the Flash to prove it.

They abuse horses by forcing them to serve as their police, they
treacherously allow bad French to be spoken within their borders, and they
secretly conspire to extend their logging operations to *all trees on the
entire world* (probably to dump them into our beautiful waterworks).

Need I say more?

>so does this mean i'll have two alerts?
>
>not that this is a problem, i can hit N pretty fast...

Tested it: no. If you press N pretty fast you won't see the extra alert. Or
you could practice a subtle and lightning-fast 'N-return' combination, just
in case.

>it also assumes i'll go and get that new version of IE which isn't likely

Theoretically it's supposed to become the standard distribution somewhere in
2004. I'm not sure if I believe that, though.

This is all just too silly (and I mean Microsoft's decisions here, not the
Canadians).

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/