[thelist] Outlook - not checking email servers

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Oct 8 21:38:35 CDT 2003

What happens when you try and check mail (errors? visual cues?)? Was this
ever working before? What version of Outlook?

Instead of recommending that they move to a whole different client just
because you can't solve their problem, I think you should get someone who
knows something about Outlook to examine the system, or try and troubleshoot
the problem. If you don't know anyone personally, try:
news://microsoft.public.outlook

If you think it's spyware, then www.lavasoftusa.com (adAware)

Cheers
Ken

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server (IIS)

From: "Paul Bennett" <paul at teltest.com>
Subject: [thelist] Outlook - not checking email servers

: Howdy folks, I have a weird conundrum I am working through with a
customer:
:
: One of their machines (the other works fine) will not check any pop3 or
: mail servers for mail - I can ping the servers fine and even attempt to
: telnet to them fine.
: I know it is a computer error because I can check their accounts fine
: through Mozilla here at work.
: They have an old Norton's running that I know of but this has caused no
: problem's in the past.
:  I did notice something called "GAIN" which may / may not be spyware?
:
: I have checked Outlooks settings and everything is fine / normal there.
:
: I am suspecting the following:
: (1) One of the kids has unknowlingly installed some kind of spyware /
: trojan which has stuffed some settings.
: (2) An old version of Nortons is somehow suddenly affecting pop3 checks
: (3) Leprechauns
:
: I am going to run "Search and Destroy" on tehir system, and recommend
: they move to a mail client that is a little more removed from the OS
: (Moz mail / Thunderbird or the like)