[thelist] why doth i hate css? let me count the ways.

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri Oct 10 07:31:32 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Dorward" <evolt at david.us-lot.org>
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 3:08 AM

> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 09:10:52PM -0400, Joshua Olson wrote:
>
> > You're making it way too tough.  How about the 100% of the height of the
> > container, just like width?
>
> Because the language is designed so you don't need to have downloaded
> the entire element before the browser can start to render it. If it
> has to do calculations based on the height of the element, it has to
> download the entire element before it can calculate that height
> (unless you explicitly state the height, in which case the percentile
> height doesn't collapse back to 'auto').

David,

Okay... I wish I was the manager who was told that by the developers.  I'd
say... "make it work anyway.  People want it, it makes sense, do some
planning and make it happen."

Thanks for the explanation, though.  With tables they overcame the problem
by not rendering the table until all table cells were calculated.  Sounds
like the same sort of issue here?  I guess arguing this issue is a moot
point, given that not many of us are on Microsoft's IE development team.
:-)

Anybody have an example in CSS where they were able to make a div stretch
vertically to fit its container, yet?

<tip type="SQL" author="Joshua Olson">
While the following is valid, it doesn't produce the results you'd expect in
SQL Server 2k (and perhaps others):

DECLARE @test varchar
SET @test = 'foobar'
IF @test = 'foobar'
  BEGIN
    Print 'It is a match!'
  END

While you'd expect that this block of code would display "It is a match!",
it does not.  Add a length the variable declaration (ala DECLARE @test
varchar(50)) and it'll work as expected.
</tip>

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.