[thelist] CVS Desperation

Peter Smulders schmolle at pobox.com
Sun Oct 12 17:48:12 CDT 2003

Hi Burhan,

> Output from WinCVS :
>
> cvs -d :pserver:burhankh at 192.168.1.102:/home/projects login
> Logging in to :pserver:burhankh at 192.168.1.102:2401:/home/projects
> cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server 192.168.1.102: -1: No
> such file or directory
>
> ***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****

> However, this works fine (PuTTY output) :
>
> burhankh at sandbox burhankh $ export CVSROOT="/home/projects"
> burhankh at sandbox burhankh $ cvs -Q co weather_server
>
> And, after making a few modifications, I can also commit the changes :
>
> burhankh at sandbox weather_server $ cvs ci -m "added a few things"
> cvs commit: Examining .
> Checking in index.php;
> /home/projects/weather_server/index.php,v  <--  index.php
> new revision: 1.3; previous revision: 1.2
> done

> However, trying to access the server like so doesn't work :
>
> burhankh at sandbox weather_server $ cvs -d
> :pserver:burhankh at 192.168.1.102:/home/projects login
> Logging in to :pserver:burhankh at 192.168.1.102:2401/home/projects
> CVS password:
> cvs [login aborted]: reading from server: Connection reset by peer

The pattern I see between working and not working is where you go
through pserver. (the pserver protocol, more accurately).

This usually points to problems with inetd. (or xinetd, whichever you
happen to be using).

Since you don't mention it in your config details, it might be something
you haven't set up at all, in which case an RTFM is really the best
thing to do first. (as usual, there are multiple ways of doing things...).

Otherwise, please post the relevant line in the /etc/inetd.conf (or
equivalent -- dunno where Gentoo keeps it) file?

By the way: don't be distracted by the error messages WinCVS gives you;
it is colorblind and cripple on its good days. (no offence to the tool
in general, but it hasn't been maintained in ages and it really shows;
you might want to look into TortoiseCVS[1] for a fairly equivalent
capability, which IS maintained).

Both messages say to me: 'aargh -- pserver died somewhere along the way'

A good strategy might be to get it to work in the way of the last
example you give. If that works, you can start debugging inter-machine
networking stuff (if any), knowing that CVS is not the culprit anymore.

hth,

Peter

[1] http://www.tortoisecvs.org/

PS: there will be a 12 hour delay at least before my next reply on
account of time zones and reasonable sleeping arrangements. :) With a
bit of luck someone else will pick up.