[thelist] unix system for development environment

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Tue Oct 14 15:48:56 CDT 2003

Roger Harness wrote:
> Evolters,
>
> I'd really like to set up some form of a UNIX server, mainly just for
> developing/testing PHP/MySQL, PERL, and system administration and Apache
> stuff. Just sorta practice. And I'd like the power trip that would hopefully
> come along with it.

> If i was rich, i'd even pay someone to just set everything up for me, but
> right now that's not really an option.
>
> Anyways, I know it's kind of a silly question, but again, I'd really like to
> be able to do this.

You don't have to be rich (but it helps!) See if there is a LUG (Linux
Users Group) in your area, they sometimes have 'install fests' where
they help newbies get up and running with Linux. If there is a group in
your area you might even find someone willing to help you get everything
installed and configured to your liking... (You might have to provide
some pizza & beer though ;)

Pete