[thelist] Developing for Multiple Platforms

Mike Roberto evolt at shriek.net
Thu Oct 16 00:32:29 CDT 2003

I'm currently working on finishing several web application which have been designed in Cold Fusion.  I've been using CF for several years, and using CF as our development platform is working just fine, but we believe that in the future we can see the benefit of having these apps available in other languages.  The benefits of simply plugging in our app with a client's web platform is a big plus, and a nice selling point for that matter.  Although CF does run on multiple platforms, the cost of CF of an open source solution versus CF is a big plus.

What would you go with to offer a "complete package" for multiple platforms?  We initially thought of PHP, for the obvious compatibility and open source benefits.  How does PHP compare to CF?  Your opinions are welcomed.

Thanks
Mike