[thelist] Top 10 JavaScripts

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at frogger.kicks-ass.net
Thu Oct 16 03:01:08 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 2003 October 15 16:54, Stuart Young wrote:
> I'm assembling a cut n paste archive for my students of the top 10
> most useful JavaScripts, and I wondered what the listees considered
> to be the top 10 JavaScripts, the ones that no web developer can live
> without, the ones that you keep using on project after project.
>
> And how do you identify the best version of each of these?

The best uses of Javascript are the ones which transform gracefully when
Javascript isn't there.

I am of the opinion on at least a few technologies, that the first thing
to learn about that technology is when and how *not* to use it. Right
now, I would say this applies to Javascript, Java, Flash, and CSS,
possibly to a couple others.

I would say for most things that a textbook will have Javascript
examples for, there is an equivalent server-side solution that needs to
be deployed *first*, because that's the only one that will always work.
Funny how the textbooks usually leave that part out.

--
Shawn K. Quinn