[thelist] Mandrake 9.2 or Redhat 9.0

Alan McCoy a.r.mccoy at larc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 16 09:14:50 CDT 2003

We just set up a RedHat 9 system here and used RPMs to install
Apache/MySQL/PHP. Now the versions of these on the CD aren't the most
current stable versions, of course. But when I wanted to upgrade PHP, for
example, from 4.2.2 (that ships with RH9) to 4.3.3 to enable some needed
features, I found out that RH's RPM updates of PHP only go as far as 4.2.2.

After unsuccessfully trying to install current stable RPMs from other
distros, we ended up having to compile current versions of Apache/MySQL/PHP
from source. A bit labor-intensive, but it got us to where we wanted to be.

Lesson learned: When installing RH, always check their version limit of RPMs
that you know you'll need to update before choosing your packages...or just
install a different distro. ;-)

Alan