[thelist] Friday hlp! A reasonable scaled progression for H1 h2 h3 h4

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 03:01:46 CDT 2003

>>>To best cater for "most" users, what declination of font sizes (in
>>> points) would be most acceptable for h1, h2,h3 tags on a page

My amateur readings into graphic design suggest that you should make all
fonts on a page a whole number multiple of the smallest font on the page.
Is there a professional graphic designer in the house to offer comments on
this?

In practice this doesn't seem to work so well, as I tend to want some
small text for, say, a footer, and if that's half the size of the normal
text it's unreadable. I guess I could fix an imaginary text base size and
make the footer 2x and the main text 3x (actually that's a fine idea).

I'd tend to think that the people who set browser defaults aren't
necessarily good graphic designers, so that's one reason to take control
if you know what you're doing.

Just thoughts.