[thelist] Tricky three column issue with Footer

Scott Blanchard octigonuser at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 10:41:16 CDT 2003

This is, I would think, a common problem. Perhaps there is a consensus "most
often used" solution.

I have a 3 column layout with a footer element. The footer element must span
across alll three columns and should fall below the longest vertical column.

Is this possible? examples?

I have example code I can post, if that would help. I have a workaround in
effect that only works in IE. I have set the height of the middle column's
div to a fixed height which is sufficient to clear the left colum's longest
expected width (its an image that changes with each section). But when this
is viewed in Netscape or Safari, and the middle column's content extends
past this fixed height, the footer elements does not flow with the content
and instead stays fixed. In IE, the footer flows to make room for the
content.

example (view in both IE and Netscape to see the diff):
http://demo.octigon.com/websites/marnell/default.asp?id=4